WoodMangler

J. Clarke did say:

WoodMangler wrote:

J. Clarke did say:

Geez, get a life--you're as bad
as the Southerners who are still fighting the Civil War.

I've lived in the Southern US most of my life and have never met one of
these folks. Do you know any? Or are you just watching too much
television?

I was borne there, you just lived there--I suspect I've been more heavily
immersed in the culture than you have.

Quite an assumption on your part. And almost certainly incorrect.

Maybe you've been moving in the wrong circles. At the high end you have the
Sons of Confederate Veterans (this is the Ferrari driving set--I don't
recall the dues but I thought my folks were nuts to pay that much),

A group dedicated to remembrance of family members who fought and died in
a war. (I'm eligible for membership by the way) I wouldn't say they're all
"still fighting the civil war" any more than I'd say that the VFW, VVA or
other groups are still fighting their war. Remembering the past certainly
isn't the same as trying to relive it.

in the
middle a surprising number of college professors (one of my cousins is
such) and other intellectuals,

I would find that surprising. I do know several scholars who study the
civil war. Wars are a fascinating subject to many, every conflict waged on
the planet is studied and analyzed by many. Not the same as "still
fighting it".

and then at the low end you have the
Klan, which the other two groups kind of wish would go away as it's
become an embarrasment.

The Klan is a hate group, white supremacists, nothing more. Their agenda
has nothing to do with the American Civil War.

Or maybe the folks you've encountered just don't discuss such matters around
folks who they know they will offend--

The folks I encounter here are family and lifelong friends.

courtesy is a Southern tradition you
know.

Well, it was until we discovered the internet... Now we can be as rude and
anonymous as anyone.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.