GregP

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:57:20 -0600, (p_j) wrote:

My father is receiving Social Security. Personally, I think in his case
and many of his generation they are welfare payments. One Christmas in a
discussion on the topic, me, him and my uncle made crude calculations.

Based on estimates of his contribution he had received about 50 times
what he payed in. Hell since then, not only does he receive his monthly
allotment of SS bucks, but he's had a variety of medical procedures,
each of which usually costs more than he paid into the system in his
entire lifetime.

The Social Security System is and always has been a welfare
program wrapped up in a mantle of an "insurance" system by
Roosevelt to make it more palatable to both payers and
recipients. And all pretense of it being a separate pot of money
disappeared when Nixon began to mingle SSS receipts &
expenses in with the Fed budget to hide the extent of his
deficits (and I believe that every president since has followed
suit).