George

Well, maybe not. See Acer pseudoplatanus.

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/T465.HTM

Platanus occidentalis, as noted is the American "sycamore," though I imagine
it's like our robin, named after the British Isles type by homesick
settlers. The "button" in buttonwood that I know comes from the shape of
the seeds.

If you like Latin binomial nomenclature, look up the American robin....

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
American Sycamore (Platanus Occidentalis, aka Planetree) is a good turning
wood. In the UK, it is called maple (but is unrelated to what we call

maple
(Acer)) and used extensively for treen. Sycamore has the unique quality of
being able to handle repeated saturations with water and not check. That's
why it is used so often for wooden spoons. I don't know if it was used to
make buttons, but its water qualities would mean you could leave the

buttons
attached when washing shirts. Like Stemo says, it turns very well when
green. Dan