Dave jackson

Hi, I'm still new to turning, but American sycamore is the only thing I've
turned so far. I came across a downed tree late this summer and cut it into
useable turning chunks/firewood. I will say after several hours
chainsawing, I got a rash on my arms, and down my side similar to poison
ivy, just not as bad. No respiratory problems noticed. I have
handled/turned the wood since I cut it up without any rashes. As far as
turning, I thought it was fairly easy green, but, as stated, I'm new to
turning and have nothing to compare it to. Hope this helps! -dave

"Tom Jones" wrote in message

I found a fresh cut pile of american sycamore recently, and was planning
to use it for some practice turning green wood. I see sycamore trees in my
area all the time, but am not overly experienced with the wood. I know
it's a hard wood, and from what I've read, it's frequently used for
furniture, so I assume it's a long, straight grained wood that should turn
nicely.

So, I was wondering if any of you have experience turning sycamore? I'm
mostly concerned with health issues; I read that the seeds from sycamore
can cause skin irratation and respiratory problems.

Any comments?

Tom