Ken Moon

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Mike and George..... Thank you for your advice...... Now I just have to
decide..... somewhere between 500 and 4500...... LOL!
I understand Georges concern for safety and I also understand Mike's
comments based on info from established turners also... hmmmmmmm

Buck,
Roughing should be at lower speeds than maximum allowable. During roughing,
you are not in constant contact with the work piece through out its entire
rotation, so it's easier to dig in. In other words, square stock should be
slower than round stock. I'd start 2 inch square between 500-1000 RPM
depending on wood species, wet or dry, etc. I seldom go above 2000 RPM.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX