Denis Marier

The question "Glue Block vrs. Chuck".
Its interesting to know that in 1842 Turners' Cement was used.
I was reading a 2001 re-print of the Handbook of Turning first published in
1842. The word chuck is used and its drawing depicts a face plate. To hold
the work piece to the face plate they used Turners' Cement. The 1842 recipe
for this Turners' Cement is roughly shown as follows: Burgundy pitch, rosin,
colophonium, yellow wax and whiting. Melt all except the later in an
earthen pot, over a slow fire. Still in 2004 turners are using hot melt
glue to hold the work piece on a wooden block fastened to a metal face plate
or simply a threaded wooden block.

They gave a recipe for making Turners' Cement. "Bjarte Runderheim"
wrote in message
news
Some I do, turning the finished bowl or platter in a big platechuck with
rubber grips,
levelling the edges, but leaving my special mark in the center,
some I just clean and sand the bottom of the hole in advance, and leave my
special mark,
some i fill with a plywood round, glue it in, and burn my special mark.

The chuckmarks inside the recess do not show much anyway, and for people

who
know
nothing about turning, some think the recess is an ornamental thing.

Bjarte

"Tony Manella" ndd1 at prolog.net skrev i melding
Do you then remove the teeth marks from the chuck? How so?
Tony Manella