Ken Moon

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
news:Rbgkd.136128$df2.4971@edtnps89...
Actually Ken, I use a regular craft glue gun. A friend of mine, Ken
Bullock
from Fredericton, NB uses an electric frying pan. Maurice Gamblin uses a
regular glue gun. they both turn larger bowls than I habitually do and
either system works. There are a couple of things to watch out for
though.
The gun has to get hot. Use at least a 40 watt gun and an 80 is better.
Give
it time to heat; I like at least 10 minutes under the theory that 5 is
good
enough. When in doubt give the piece a "bench test;" hold it in your hand
and give the glue bock a good swat against the bench. If it holds, turn
away. Make sure the glue surfaces are dry. If gluing to a wet surface,
heat
it dry with a heat gun or torch. You are quite right in thinking that a
gun
hot enough to melt glue is not necessarily hot enough to give a good melt.
Give it time to heat and things should go well. Your suggestion of a hot
plate is good. Set the heat to about 375 F.

==============================
Darrell,
Thanks for straightening me out! It was Ken Bullock that I was thinking
about. He used to post quite frequently about his hot glue blocks and the
extra heat he used to get the thing to stick. Since you say the glue gun can
be used if additional heating is used I may try that again ..... standing
well out of the way this time !! (:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

BTW,
How's that big Craftsman lathe holding up?