Darrell Feltmate

Actually Ken, I use a regular craft glue gun. A friend of mine, Ken Bullock
from Fredericton, NB uses an electric frying pan. Maurice Gamblin uses a
regular glue gun. they both turn larger bowls than I habitually do and
either system works. There are a couple of things to watch out for though.
The gun has to get hot. Use at least a 40 watt gun and an 80 is better. Give
it time to heat; I like at least 10 minutes under the theory that 5 is good
enough. When in doubt give the piece a "bench test;" hold it in your hand
and give the glue bock a good swat against the bench. If it holds, turn
away. Make sure the glue surfaces are dry. If gluing to a wet surface, heat
it dry with a heat gun or torch. You are quite right in thinking that a gun
hot enough to melt glue is not necessarily hot enough to give a good melt.
Give it time to heat and things should go well. Your suggestion of a hot
plate is good. Set the heat to about 375 F.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate