Tony Manella

Bjarte,
I am correct in reading that you finish (sand & oil) the bottom including
the hole and then remount in the hole you just finished?
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message

"Paul Kierstead" skrev i melding
news
1. Initial round and flatten faces between the centers. Make a tenon.
2. Insert Tenon into chuck and turn most of bowl as he does on a glue
block.
3. Reverse and do the bottom and finish.

I like working with chuck only, because of the speed.
But, I never use tenons when I turn bowls. I find it impossible to get
the steady, unvarying grip on a tenon that I get from a recess.
(I know, I know, we have been thru that, I stick to my way)

So, I have made myself dependent on a drillpress.
(It is also possible to make the initial recess between centers,
but i takes far too much time).

I always start on the (normally) flat side that is going to be the
concave side of the bowl. I put the piece under the drillpress with
a 2 1/8" Forstnerbit, and drill a hole near the max depth for my chuck.
I put the piece in the lathe, roughturn the bottom, and make the recess
for the convex side with a parting tool ( This tool makes a clean,
cylindrical
hole).

Then I true up the first hole with the parting tool to secure the symmetry
of the two holes.

Then i finish the bottom, and I mean "finish", as in sanding and
oiling.

Then I "empty" the bowl and finish.

This is the routine I learnt from my local "guru", and it seems to
me to be very near a professional way of working.

Bjarte