George

Everybody grows from something into something. I never used faceplates
much, and with my first chuck purchase, they were relegated to collect dust
on the shelf until I took them up to school. So I ask, as you do, why glue
blocks. The way I do it works too, and dollars to donuts there are other
ways. Darrell uses that Oland tool, I use (HORRORS) spindle gouges - both
move wood, but I'll bet there are other ways out there too.

If you have a chuck, take a look at the spindle method at:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeorge/index.html
It's safe, quick, and produces a nice surface.

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
news
Ok, if you got this far (congrats!), the question: He does the initial
turning on a glue block but recommends the bottom cut and finishing be
done on a four-jaw chuck. My question is why the glue block for the
first stage (ok, actually second...)? I would think this sequence:

1. Initial round and flatten faces between the centers. Make a tenon.
2. Insert Tenon into chuck and turn most of bowl as he does on a glue
block.
3. Reverse and do the bottom and finish.

In (1), why doesn't he roughly make it round?
In (2), why a glue block instead of a chuck? Strength issues, or perhaps
the because the tenon wastes a little more wood? Or just in case you
don't have a chuck (he seems economically minded); he does point out you
could use a jam chuck for (3)

I am just trying to understand the principles and concepts of turning
rather then follow a formula....

Thanks for the patience and great help so far!

PK