Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 09:54:10 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...
However, if you look at the speech regulations on
most college campuses, particularly those with the most "liberal" of the
liberal arts, you will find that the speech codes absolutely violate the
right to free speech, free expression, and free interchange of ideas.

Hoo boy, do we agree on THAT! Seems liberals and conservatives both
have a fanatic fringe that believes in suppressing opposing views.

Many times I've thought your posts were evidence of mind-altering drugs,
and I'm sure you've thought the same of me :-). But I've never
suggested you should be silenced and you've never tried to silence me.
I guess we agree on the really important things.

I think you are right there.

BTW, as a slight change of subject, has it ever struck you as odd that
we've almost never gotten a true majority (2/3) in this country on any
issue? Seems we're always split somewhere in the low 50s vs high 40s.

That is an interesting observation; even more interesting that the
disagreement between those two groups are usually (but not always)
diametrically opposed -- as opposed to a matter of degree.

I wonder if anything that 2/3s can't agree on should be made into law -
or elected?

Certainly agree on the former. Once saw a recommendation (don't know
whether it was Heinlein or another author) that indicated there should be 3
houses of congress. Two would be charged with creating laws, and IIRC (it's
been a few years) 2/3 majority would be required to pass *any* law. The
third house was charged with repealing laws and would only require a simple
majority.