J. Clarke

WoodMangler wrote:

J. Clarke did say:

Geez, get a life--you're as bad
as the Southerners who are still fighting the Civil War.

I've lived in the Southern US most of my life and have never met one of
these folks. Do you know any? Or are you just watching too much
television?

I was borne there, you just lived there--I suspect I've been more heavily
immersed in the culture than you have.

Maybe you've been moving in the wrong circles. At the high end you have the
Sons of Confederate Veterans (this is the Ferrari driving set--I don't
recall the dues but I thought my folks were nuts to pay that much), in the
middle a surprising number of college professors (one of my cousins is
such) and other intellectuals, and then at the low end you have the Klan,
which the other two groups kind of wish would go away as it's become an
embarrasment.

Or maybe the folks you've encountered just don't discuss such matters around
folks who they know they will offend--courtesy is a Southern tradition you
know.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)