Never Enough Money

Prometheus wrote in message
[snip]

Actually, no. I think a violent revolution is almost justified. I
don't believe that the average American is almost ready for one. Too
much bread and too many circuses.

You might want re-think. I suppose you ought to buy a gun. Good thing
for you we still can own a gun.

[skip]
Abortion.

We differ n this one. I'm proud we want to not murder babies. Let's
look at the extremes. One day before birth would be murder, plain and
simple. One day after conception is probably not (but it's not plain
and simple). Where between those two extremes abortion becomes murder
is the debate. A debate worth having.

As far as rights of the majority telling others that abortionis wrong
-- isn't that like the majority making murder or cannabilism or bank
robbery is wrong.

[snip]

War (and the "exportation" of freedom)

Not so simple. You think the Republicans go to war wheever they get a
chance? No. You seem to have forgotten that Saddam ignore the UN
resolutions for twelve years and that there was 9/11 which made us
more willing to defend ourselves. The limp dick diplomacy of the
democrats would never work. Had Lord Chamberlain not been dominate in
Britain, Hitler would have not destroyed most of Europe and killed
millions.

Sometimes it is appropriate to attack another country even if they
have not attacked yours. It's analgous to me catching my neighbor
beating his wife. I will go in an attck him to save her even if it's
in his own house.

[snip]

Posting the Ten Commandments on public property

I agree with you on this one. However, there's some history to
consider. Also the Democrats want to eliminate this too fast. That's
why they lost votes. To change this, society must be lead, not forced
-- oh I forgot, youi want a violent revlution. Reminds me of all the
lives that were lost because some Ynakees thought slavery had to end
TODAY. Theirimpatience caused a war, a needless war since most
scholars think slavery would have ended anyway in 15 years.

You also miss the point that the liberal have their own morality they
are trying to force upon the rest of us: no guns, abortion, gay
marriage.

[snip]

Gay marriage.

Hmmm. Every speech I hear on CNN or other news channels says "We think
it's ok for civil unions but it should not be the same as marriage
because the word marriage means man and woman." That seems like a
great compromise for now. Republicans, at least the many I know
personally and the ones I hear on TV, have nothing against gays. I
suspect there are some uneducated people that dislike gays from both
parties.

[snip]

I notice no difference between this administrations rhetoric on what
they want to do than the Clinton admn, the Reagan, the Carter, the
Johnson, the Nixon, .... This administration says what they mean and
means what they say. Perhaps that is a difference.

That was the previous poster. As for Plato, we have not "come much
farther than that." Philosophy is the pursuit of truth, and truth is
outside the constraints of time and social expediency. If I tell you
that water is wet, water will still be wet a billion years from now
(or it will have ceased to have been water) An argument built on a
solid foundation with proper primary axioms and carefully maintained
logical steps is relevent in all times, and all places. I have never
seen a single syllogism produced by any contemporary politician that
can even hold a candle to Plato's dialogues. What I do see is an
awful lot of polling and sound-byte assertions without a solid
foundation.

You misunderstood me or I was not clear or both. I meant we've come a
long way in how to implement democracies. True, Plato did state a lot
of truths which are still true. I suspect he made some mistakes, too.
Regarding your asseertion of "an awful lot of polling and sound-byte
assertions without a solid foundation" -- the liberal are particulary
guilty of this.

[snip]

What is it you do with a doctorate in Mathematics? If you are a
professor, you are almost certainly receiving many types of welfare,
albeit through the filter of your institution.

For 15 years I developed image processing algorithms for pattern
recognition systems from Space. I also worked on high precision
control systems. For the last 10 years I've worked on wireless
telephony. There's a lot of mathemeatics in all of those areas.
[snip]

It is. Now if they would stop taking from me, we'd be getting
somewhere.

A second thing we agree on.

[snip]
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

I'm not convinced Hannibal was good. Although the Roman empire had
problems, did the barbarians make things beeter in the long run? In
fact, your friend Plato's culture might have been best had it survived
and not been overwhelmed by the Romans.