On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:17:19 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I finished my first project with boiled linseed oil on spalted maple

today.

snip, snip, snip

....there are some finishes that flat won't work at all (using lard

on salad bowls comes to mind)...

just out of curiosity, because of course I would NEVER think of doing
something like this, why not??? rancidity..rancinidity..whatever?? And
how about that big old can of crisco that never gets used?? any
possibilities??

when i was a kid i used vaseline on some small turned pieces. once i
couldn't find vaseline, so i used vicks vap-o-rub. in addition to
dating my middle-aged ass, that also shows that the lard and crisco
ideas are still in play.

Martin Caskey
Millers Island, Maryland