WoodMangler

Prometheus did say:
Abortion.

It has been a consistant stand of the Republican party that is has the
moral obligation to oppose the use of abortion in almost every case-
the argument is not based on science, but on a religious belief that a
fertilized egg is a human being with a soul. When they make this
argument, it is based on a moral code which is not shared by the
people they hope to prevent from engaging in this activity. Trying to
ban abortion is using their concept of morality to control the life of
another. While the idea of abortion is personally disgusting to me, I
do not and can not claim the right to tell another person what they
must or must not do with their progeny, especially when it is still
inside their body.

The solution to this argument is simple. Currently, abortion is legal
for a certain period of time during pregnancy.
Merely shift the legal period ahead about thirteen and a half years. Have
the child. At age thirteen, you pretty much know if this is going to be a
useful member of society. This is when the decision should be made.
Neighbors get a vote.

War (and the "exportation" of freedom)

While a dictatorship is absolutely abhorrent to the American mindset,
many countries throughout history have been ruled by warlords and/or
kings. Sometimes this rule is by consent of the people, and sometimes
it is not. In any case, it is not the province of an outside power to
invade an independant power because the morality of the outside power's
elected leader tells him that "all people want to be free." We may
believe that freedom is always better, and that may be true for us- but
that does not automatically mean that other cultures feel the same. We
have no right to overthrow governments unless they attack ours (not
Kuwait's- ours)

I agree for the most part, but I think there are certainly times when it
is acceptable and right to come to the aid of another country. Not every
country can defend itself from aggressive neighbors. Where would the world
be if there wasn't an alliance during WWII?
I think a better policy is one of non-initiation of force. I'm a firm
believer in "live and let live", but also of the right to self defense.

Posting the Ten Commandments on public property

While I hold no animosity towards any of the principles expressed by the
commandments, they are, stirictly speaking a Christian/Jewish moral
code. When such a monument is posted on the grounds of a public
building, it is maintained with the taxpayer's money.
Taxation is money
taken from private citizens by the government, and should never be used
to grant a greater legitimacy to one religion than to another, since
adherants of many different faiths have all contriubted to the upkeep of
that building.

Agreed. But keep in mind that the US was founded by and for Christians.
Our ancestors have placed graven mementos of their religion in virtually
every public building built before 1970. I don't think we should be adding
more, or placing them in new buildings, but to remove those that exist,
to deny that heritage in order to try and revise our self image is
misguided in my opinion.

Gay marriage.

What difference can it possibly make to allow any two people to engage
in a mutually accepted social contract? My morality tells me that
there's nothing wrong with two individuals accepting one another's
lifelong companionship, regardless of their gender. When the legal
right to join in civil union is denied to two citizens, it is one
group's moral sense being used to control the lives of others. If these
unions are to be discouraged, it should be done by their churches- not
the state.

They shouldn't be discouraged at all. Two (or more for that matter) people
living their lives as they see fit, without harming others, is not
anyone else's concern. But to your point, since both candidates, and the
majority of voters in both parties agree that gay marriage is offensive
and demeans the sanctity of the marriage institution, you're not making a
valid point by trying to blame this on just the Republicans.

"Capitalism demands the best of every man- his rationality- and rewards
him accordingly. It leaves every man free to choose the work he likes,
to specialize in it, and to go as far on the road of achievement as his
ability and ambition will carry him. His sucess depends on the
objective value of his work and the rationality of those who recognize
that value."
-Ayn Rand

AMEN

Never took so much as a day's wage from the gov't in my entire life.
The only things I use from them are those things which I must use for
lack of other options (police, roads, military etc.) And somehow I
managed not to vote for Bush.

Good that you have not taken from the government.

It is. Now if they would stop taking from me, we'd be getting
somewhere.

Taking from the government. Now there's an odd turn of phrase. If
anything, you'd be taking back.