mlv

Default Sony KV-M1420U Television - No Colour

Bob Minchin wrote:

Mike,

are you sure about that model number?
I have a Sony 14" manual here and all the variants are
KV-14M or T1letter according to country of use

The UK model with UHF tuner is KV-14T1U (M indicates a vhf/uhf tuner)

If your set is similar to mine then look out for a 40 pin chip MC44007P
which is the Chroma processor which has a crystal running at 4x the colour
subcarrier eg 17.734 MHz. One end of the crystal connects to pin 33.

Hi Bob

Yes, the model number is KV-M1420U (S/N: 6043B75). The manual listed three
model numbers, so I took the details off the TV rating plate. I've had the
TV a while, maybe 12-14 years!

This MC44007P chip, is it plug in or soldered? Are you suggesting the chip
might need replacing, or that I should check for dry joints at its pins? Or
is a faulty crystal more likely? Assuming I have the back off the TV and am
looking inside, where is the PCB carrying this chip most likely to be
located?

The fault has gone away for the past three days and the television is
working normally with good colour at the moment. I'm sure the fault will
return.

Thanks for your help.
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' before firing off your reply-