ddinc

BTW, I dont like water based poly. It makes natural wood look like plastic.

"toller" wrote in message
I finished my first project with boiled linseed oil on spalted maple today.
Well, I am still finishing it. The instructions say to apply and wipe the
excess off 20 minutes later. I have applied about 5 times and it is bone
dry when I go back to wipe.
How much is enough? Do I have to keep pouring it on until there is
excess,
or have I already overdone it?

Looking this up in some books is even more confusing. They say it is
essential to sand to 600 or even 1000 grit. Then you oil, dry, sand, oil,
dry, sand, and repeat forever. Do people really do this?

Another author says he likes to oil, shellac, and then use water based
poly.
Will that be significantly different than either just danish oil, or oil
and
oil based poly? How? He doesn't really go into WHY he likes to do it.