Mat A

Oh it great alright. I live in Victoria, pretty much the best area in
Canada for living; wages are also some of the lowest. Things are changing
though. It reminds me of the tech boom a few years back. If a company
wasn't willing to pay well, the IT guys were jumping ship like lemmings. I
see a lot of guys in cabinet making now doing just that, they're not putting
up with **** wages. It's leaving a lot of companies with contractual
obligations scrambling and now they're beginning to increase wages to keep
their employees.

I would think that things will be good for another 10 years or so for us in
the highly skilled trades category. Then all those who have just gotten out
of high school will have caught up. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I think the cabinet making jobs will be still in demand. It's still
considered a low brow career move by parents. And kids these days are soft,
having to lift sheets of MDF and melamine onto that "big scary saw" seems to
scare most of them off. And ya know how fashion conscious kids are these
days; they say the dust is hard on their skin and hair ;-). Kids with
frizzy hair and dull skin are the new 21st century lepers. I see a great
deal of kids looking at being electricians, machinists and so forth. There
is also a significant increase in those enrolling in "fine furniture" making
courses also. But those who have been in this long enough now there isn't
much money in that field - lots of envy and respect from those who can't
make high end furniture but no money.

"CW" wrote in message
It is. Isn't it great? Been a machinist for near 20 years now.

"Mat A" wrote in message
It's world wide. I don't think there is a developed nation that doesn't
have a shortage of skilled trades people