Derrick Crane

Default How to remove chrome plate from Copper pipe?

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:58:59 +0100, "David Cameron"
wrote:

"Nightdrive" wrote in message
m...
Subject says it all.
Needto connect chrome plated Cu pipe to speedfit. Speedfit say I must
removed the chrome for the connection. Presumeably as chrome is quite

hard,
and the stainless gripper things inside the speedfit connection can't grip
it properly.
It's a pig to remove though. I've been at it for ages with wet or dry

paper.
Am I missing a trick of the trade?
All help appreciated

Don't use wet or dry paper, it takes too long.
Push the fitting on to the pipe, and mark insertion depth on the pipe with
a Stanley knife.Remove the fitting and scrape off the chrome plating with
the Stanley knife.
The same technique can be used when soldering on chrome plated Cu.

HTH,
Dave

Wow. I knew you couldn't fit speedfit connectors to stainless steel
but I thought chrome-plated Cu was OK. I made one connection like this
and the fitting had no problem biting through the chrome plate. It's
perfectly tight and as it's only 3ft under the tank there's very
little pressure on it but thanks for alerting me to this.

Derrick