Greg G.

Leif Thorvaldson said:

Hey! Come on now guys! If I had realized that you were still having
problems with the sucker, I had a couple of other aces up my sleeve.

Just revving you up... ;-)

But seriously, I heat connecting rod bores with a hot plate and cool
piston pins with cryo freeze to assemble engines with non-floating
piston pins. Works great and is more accurate than using a 20 ton
hydraulic press - I get no scoring of the pins or bores. Works for
anything that has an interference fit. No force, just finesse.

I also wonder why it was so tight. Once the thing moved at all, it
should have just popped out. I wonder if there was extensive rust or
corrosion in there. A tapered MT joint should not have been that
difficult to remove.

You are right about keeping the Morse tapers clean, however. It not
only makes them easier to remove, but makes them less subject to
slipping.

FWIW,

Greg G.