George

Congratulations on your large shop. Wish I had that kind of room available.

Because I do not, my lathe stand doubles, as do all my tool bases, as a
storage cabinet. It is built of 3/4 particle board, fully glued and
screwed, and with 3/4 compartment dividers. Used two sheets in it, since
it's a 42" lathe, so you can imagine it's already heavy, made heavier by
storage of my cased tailed tools. Make yours with a bed extension in mind,
with 4-5" excess footprint for stability.

Two things to consider in construction are movability and height. I
accomplished the first by installing casters at one end, almost 1/4" off the
floor when the case is on its dustkicks. The kicks are relieved at that end
so I can grip the handles at the other, rotate up on to the casters, and
move the whole (empty, of course) wheelbarrow-fashion. The second, proper
height, should accomplished through the use of stacked blocks under the
attachment points. Make the cabinet low enough so that you have full speed
change and, more important, full shaving removal clearance under the lathe.
Ideal would be enough to put a tin heating duct along and under the bed to
gather the sanding dust.

"Shawn Wilson" wrote in message

Also, I'm moving my basement shop from a 13x12 room to a 13x19 (or 13x33

if
I never get around to putting that wall in ). I currently have a 10"
belt-driven lathe with 36" bed bolted directly to studs in the basement.
This seems to turn the sheet rock on the other side of the wall into a

huge
speaker. It gets quite noisy. I was thinking of of making a
self-supporting stand for it out of 4x4 and weighing it down with my

winter
supply of sand/salt. This seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution.
Any tips/plans?