Gerald Ross

Shawn Wilson wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie who recently got my first face plate. I turned a shot glass
out of a little piece of ash, which took forever to hollow with my scraper.
At the flea market I picked up this for a buck:

http://www.glassgiant.com/misc_galle...p?galleryid=17

I'd been toying with the idea of making my own bowl gouge, but have never
worked with anything harder than sheet metal before. I thought maybe I
could grind this down, and, if need be, turn a longer handle for it. I
realize it's small, but I doubt I'll be hollowing anything deeper than about
4" for quite a while. Would that work? This tip looks black in one picture,
but that is rust.

Also, I'm moving my basement shop from a 13x12 room to a 13x19 (or 13x33 if
I never get around to putting that wall in ). I currently have a 10"
belt-driven lathe with 36" bed bolted directly to studs in the basement.
This seems to turn the sheet rock on the other side of the wall into a huge
speaker. It gets quite noisy. I was thinking of of making a
self-supporting stand for it out of 4x4 and weighing it down with my winter
supply of sand/salt. This seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution.
Any tips/plans?

TIA,
Shawn

Shawn Wilson

http://www.GlassGiant.com

Shawn,
I made all except one of my bowl gouges from shock absorber
rods using only a right angle grinder and a carbide bit and
drill.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA