Phil Munro

Here is my understanding of the 15A/20A receptacle situation. The
difference between 15A and 20A receps is the pin slot on the hot side.
The 20A recept will take a 20A plug which will NOT fit into a 15A
recept. Either receptacle will take a 15A plug.
The 15A receptacles are RATED at 20A, that is they can be and are used
on 20A circuits. The 20A receptacle (probably) should not be used on
a 15A circuit since a device with a 20A plug implies that it needs
current in the range of 15 to 20A.
You can find this info written on the boxes or even on the recepts
themselves -- if you are willing to read the into. --Phil

Bill wrote:

Although you can use 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit, I use 20 amp
"commercial grade" outlets. These are designed for more use, will last
longer, and will make better electrical contact with the plug.

"Greg and Kelly Carr" wrote in message

I took apart an existing wall in my home and found that 15 amp outlets

were used on a 20 amp circuit. Should these be replaced with 20 amp?

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555