Doug Kanter

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

"Phil Munro" wrote in message
If I remember, this question was about the "setback" when programming
a thermostat. The question was quickly, or originally confused with the
"differential setting" of a programmable thermostat.
No one has pointed out that some (at least one that I know about) have
a "differential setting" that can be programmed. That value is
nominally set to "10" on the stats I've programmed, and the value is,
I think, 10x the on/off degree difference for the system. This is
sometimes called an anticipator setting, I think.
The 10 "degree setting" that the original writer heard about on a
radio show (or somewhere) for the "differential" has NOTHING to do with
how low a thermostat should be setback.
Perhaps someone who has access to the original posting can check this
out, since I am not an expert in heating systems. Because of this,
I have been waiting for an expert to comment; since that does not seem
to be happening, I'll take a chance that my understanding of the
"differential" setting on a programmable thermostat is correct. --Phil

Good point...These are the settings I use

normal setback 10 degrees

Differential on programmable stats (single stage gas/electric)normal 1.0

1.5 degrees
Differential on mechanical stats (single stage gas/electric) 2 - 5 degrees

heat pumps and 2 stage will normally be 1 - 2 degrees differential on the
first stage with the second stage being 3 - 5 degrees below the set point.

Other folks may use different settings...your milage may vary.

Now, you have to factor in personalities. I'm happy sleeping in a tent at 35
degrees, with a serious sleeping bag. At home I'd be happy with the house at
50, since I have a down comforter that was apparently designed for the
Arctic.

My significant other - she's a different story. She thinks the comforter is
too warm. But, she bases this opinion on how it feels when we first get in
bed. At that time, the house hasn't cooled down yet. I could outline my plan
for dealing with this, but as we've already established earlier in the
discussion, there is no logic to how women perceive temperature.