Tom

I'm no expert here, but it seems like a case could arise where a single
vertical
stud would take virtually all the load from a point source (it's slightly
taller
than it's neighbors for example).

So the better question might be, can the concrete spread the load
effectively?
In compression, the concrete strength is likely to be 2500-3000 psi. So, the
question would be can the concrete effecitvely spread the load from that one
vertical stud out to the underlaying soil?

-- Tom

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I have an engineering question: if a point load bears on the top plate
of a stud wall, does the stud wall spread out the load by the time it
reaches the bottom plate? My WAG is that it is spread over a width
equal to the height of the stud wall. In my application, the stud
wall is on a 4" concrete slab that (I think) can handle a wall load of
300 lbs/ft, so I'm trying to figure out whether I need to add a
footing.

Thanks,
Wayne