Pete C

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 02:51:46 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Looking for a fast, intelligent charger for AA and AAA NiMHs (and
NiCds), with independent charge control for each cell, and effective
time and/or temperature safety cutoffs.

I.E. not like http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.stumbles/charger.jpg

Hi,

The switch on the charger is set to 'Ni Cd' and it looks like the
batteries are Ni Mh. Also are these new cells? When new cells can have
a tendancy to overheat when fast charged.

I wouldn't charge 650mAh AAAs in these anyway, putting 2A into
something like that is bound to make it get very hot. If the cells
aren't in close contact with the charger there will be no thermal
protection.

I have this charger and when the AA cells were new they would get hot
and thermal cutout would operate before they were fully charged. I got
round this by running a small fan on them.

If you don't need to recharge partially charged cells and aren't in a
hurry, a simple timer charger is best. 7 day shop have a good deal on
one with 8 AAs. For small sized batteries a plug in 24 hr timeswitch
can be used to limit the charge time.

cheers,
Pete.