John Rumm

Mark S. wrote:

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:16:11 -0000, "nightjar"
wrote:

I wonder whether you would have got a different result if you had dug down
to the expanded metal mesh and tested that?

Knowing little about electrics I didn't want to say but I thought some
mention of the metal mesh would have been made before now?

If it ended up near or touching some old cabling/pipework etc. Then
when the wet plaster was applied over it and now it's dry? Or am I
still not understanding electrics... ;-)

That would be plausable, although I would expect him to have got a shock
sooner if that was the case. The other problem is that it seems an
unlikely place to have any wires - other than the metal lath I could
find nothing with my metal scanner and there are no electrical fittings
in the area.

The only pipes around are some disconnected ones that run floor to
ceiling in the corner of the adjacent room in a boxed in section. These
used to be the rising main and feed to the hot water cylinder to/from
the cistern in the loft which is made out of slate and still there!. (I
went through all the plumbing and eliminated all the remaining lead pipe
that was in use when I was about sixteen IIRC - but never shifted the
slate tank since it must weigh a ton all by itself!).

Perhaps I ought to go back and megger the upstairs light and power
circuits...

--
Cheers,

John.