Jim Adney

On 5 Nov 2004 13:52:11 GMT Ol' Duffer wrote:

I have a vintage lathe that needs to have the cross slide
thrust bearing shimmed. I'm not 100% certain, still need
to get more light on the subject and blow the hole out with
air, but I think the handle might be mounted with a blind
roll pin. Yes I agree this is a stupid way to build things.

What brand of lathe is it? Something cheap might actually be made like
this, while a real industrial lathe, especially an old one, would be
more likely to be built to be serviced.

Three possibilities come to mind:

Drill out the roll pin with a carbide spade drill.

Drill a hole from the opposite side so that you can drive the pin out.

Check to make see if you can leave the handle attached and remove the
handle with the shaft by releasing something at the other end of the
shaft.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA