Bob

"RonB" wrote in message
news:YP5jd.46225$EZ.38879@okepread07...

I am beginning to think some of the more disrespectful comments are coming
from the older crowd who remember the power equipment Craftsman offered up
until the early 80's.

I've reflected on this thought because I am in the right generation to
remember. It was Christmas of 1973 when I was married, no kids and we both
had good professional jobs. We were "rich" relatively speaking. I remember
going through the sears catalogue and marking page after page of things I
wanted for Christmas. My shop still has many of those items. The craftsman
socket set and wrenches are still excellent. The chisels are so-so. Tap
and Die set is still very good. The heavy duty hydraulic floor jack is still
heavy duty but lost a seal and needs repair.

But the power tools? Hmmm

Corded Electric Drill - died after 7 years in a disgraceful gear failure -
it should have lasted longer
Autoscroll saw - still working well, but does not compare to what's
available today
Circular saw - does not hold a candle to power and smoothness of my Dewalt
Pad sander - always was noisy and shook and generally horrible to use, but
still "works" if I am in masochistic mood
Variable high speed hand held grinder (Dremel tool on steroids) - Great
tool, always was and still is.
Bench grinder - works great but 7" non-standard wheels
"iron" compressor - quit due to some part failure - gave it to a friend who
fixed it for $15 and still going strong
air impact wrench - like new and works well
air ratchet - like new and works well

What's this mean? I think Craftsman tools had an aura, but when I compare
to what's available today, they were mediocre and some were very
proprietary. I don't resent it - just got educated and moved on.

Bob