Lobby Dosser

"RonB" wrote:

Is there some reason not to remove the existing table and mount the
new one
directly to the trunions?

Way too difficult and no real benefit. I have a 30" x 18" table that
is held in place with two handscrews and I can have it off in about 1
minute. Actually, I cannot think of a reason I would take it off. I
built mine with extendable table, extendable fence, tracks, etc. It
can be used equally well for wood or metal projects. The tracks are
spaced to accept a the hold-down vices I use for occasional
metalworking.

As far as clearance loss goes I guess it depends on whether you have a
floor or bench model. I used two thicknesses of 3/4" Baltic Birch ply
on mine, with a third ply at the ends. Mine is a floor model so
clearance is no issue.

However, weight might be an issue if you don't have a mechanical lift
(rack and crank, etc,). Mine was a little heavy before the auxiliary
table. I rigged up a simple and inexpensive counter weight using
cable, pulleys and rubber bungee. Works fine. I posted pics a few
months ago.

Building a drill press table is a fun and useful project. Depending
on design, it can add a lot of utility to the tool.

RonB

Ron, saw your setup when you posted it. Very ingenous.

Thanks to everyone for their comments on the drill press table. Anyone
got any comments on the band saw?