Prometheus

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:00:52 -0500, "James T. Kirby"
wrote:

Willard wrote:
Republican George W. Bush has beaten the Democratic challenger John F.
Kerry by a margin of about 4 million votes. There were more votes for
Bush in this electiion than there were for any other American President
in history. This clearly demonstrates that the American center has made
a shift to the right. Bush now has the mandate to advance a right-wing
agenda, as he sees fit. The Senate and House of Representatives also
elected a higher percentage of Republicans.

If the Democratic party wishes to survive, they will need to shift
their politics more to the right, in order to represent the needs of
most Americans.

How do you translate a margin of 4 million votes out of 115 million cast
into a "clear mandate"? Its almost a statistical dead heat. More people voted
against
Bush this time than voted for him last time.

Tom Delay sounds like he thinks they got 90% of the vote. I hope they find the
going a little rockier than they anticipate.

I shouldn't do it, but I'll respond anyhow. I agree- Bush has NO
MANDATE to push his agenda. I wasn't really *for* Kerry, but I voted
for him anyhow specifically because I was afraid the Bush faction
would consider a 1% margin a "mandate". The frightening thing is that
the Republicans have the majority in every part of our government, and
they actually *can* push their agenda. I sincerely hope and pray that
the next four years are not going to be as bad for the US as I am
afraid they are going to be- but I'm not holding my breath.