Al Reynolds

Default which way round to use ratchet crimping tool?

"Peter Parry" wrote:
Al Reynolds" wrote:
I have drawn a diagram showing what the two sides
of the jaws look like. The picture is at:
http://www.bat400.com/images/crimping.gif
[snip]

On the diagram A appears to be rounder and B flatter so I'm not sure
if you have you A's and B's mixed up in the description above.

Absolutely right - I did get the descriptions the wrong way
around. It should have said:
When crimping the (1&2) end of the crimp, the more
rounded (A) jaw should be at (1), and the flatter (B)
jaw should be at (2)

which is what you said - thanks for clarifying that.

One more question, now that we know which way round I
should be working - how strong should a crimp be? For
example, should I be able to pull it apart by hand? I read
somewhere that the crimp should be at least as strong as the
uncrimped cable, from which I would assume that I shouldn't
be able to pull it apart.

TIA,
Al