Clive Summerfield

Default Will the chancellor cane house owners in the budget?

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:43:31 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Phil" wrote in message

Oh, yes. There's a perception problem in this country caused by a
general move to the left.

So fairly soon, as this leftward trend progresses, we should get back

centre.

Quite right. In fact the Liberals have, so-called more left policies

than
New Lab.

Which is why I am going to vote Lib Dem next time (as I did last time,
but not in 1997, when I voted Labour and rue it to this day).

Blair is aiming where it matters; constitutional change. That is very
important to the Medieval UK.

So far his record after nearly 7 years is pretty poor, even by New Labour
standards.

The Jenkins report on electoral reform is gathering dust on a shelf
somewhere, and whilst he made a step forward by reducing (and eventually
doing away with) hereditary peers in the House of Lords, he immediatly took
an equal (if not larger) step backwards by trying to insist on a majority of
unelected appointees to the Upper House. Oh, and then there's the Scottish
and Welsh Assemblies; one a money pit and the other a near irrelevance to
many of its constituents. And in the case of the Scottish Assembly, he
completely failed to address the West Lothian Question.

So whilst he has made some constitional change - note change, not
necessarily progress - he has completely failed from a democratic
perspective. In fact with the increased politicisation of the Civil Service
and the greater numbers of unelected officials (Charlie Falconer, Alistair
Campbell) wielding substantial power, we may well have taken steps backwards
democratically.

Oh, and to save IMM time, here's a

snip babble

for him to cut around.