mac davis

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:42:45 GMT, Leuf
wrote:

Leuf.. I think we're coming from the same direction, I just didn't
explain what I meant by artisan prices..
I was thinking more of how you want the client to perceive your work
than how you/we do... folks just pay more for something made by an
artist... and to someone like me or to a client, the skill level and
talent to make a good jewelry box (which I hope to develop) is an
art...
When you do or know something well, you tend to take it for granted...
like "doesn't everyone do this?"... but to folks that have never
ripped a board on a power saw, what you do is damn near magic... and
it helps your checkbook to let them believe that.. *g*

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:17:54 GMT, mac davis
wrote:

Good solution and good job...
You could have been more professional in your proposal, but IMHO,
informal is better if you want "artisan" prices, professional is great
for bulk or volume items..

I agree that it could have been more professional, but I tried to do
it as if she were in the room as a sketch to further discussion, with
the intent to follow up with a more formal drawing. It doesn't appear
that will be necessary, though I think I will go through the process
just for my own sake.

Interesting comment about the process being different for "arty" work.
I'd just gone looking at some websites with jewelry boxes and stumbled
across this one site where I read, "Peruse my web-site, and see what
truly fine woodworking can be. (Woodworkers will likely learn a thing
or two.)" And on and on like that. If that's what being an "artisan"
leads to I think I'll aim for glorified carpenter instead. Though
actually the guy's prices were reasonable, go figure.

Like most things in life, it's the selling as much as the quality that
makes people feel good about the decision to use you, and referrals
follow..

I think it's a skill that needs to be developed along with your
technical skills. I guess it comes naturally to some people. My
parents are building a new house and in talking with the builder
within 2 minutes you know you want to work with the guy. I tried to
just pay attention to him and learn a few things.

-Leuf