G&M

"Richard Porter" wrote in message
On 2 Nov 2004 "G&M" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
G&M wrote:
I very much doubt it. It was barely up to handling the torque
of the original Mini. Later ones were beefed up.

That was the old 1.5 litre F1 and it only had to last 3 hours. I
expect the parts were selected and heat treated though.

Right. Of course you could completely replace the internals.

That's where things headed in 1961, and once Lotus got their act in
gear, even removing material, and hence weight, from those gears.

I thought they mostly used Hewland boxes?

Once Hewland released their first ubiquitous F1 box (the F100 I think) then
that's right. And of course later on the Cossie/Hewland became the basis of
most cars other than the Ferrari.

Though Lotus did try their own one again with the 69, 78 and 86/88. The 78
also had a locked diff.