T i m

On 5 Nov 2004 13:13:14 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:50:20 UTC, Harvey Van Sickle
wrote:

I have the same feeling about the tears shed over big bookstore chains
knocking out traditional small independent bookshops -- "they just want
to shift blockbusters; no interest in books as books; don't know
what's published or isn't published".

I have no patience with our local large bookshops.

Typically, one orders a book and is told it will be 3 to 4 weeks
arriving 'from their warehouse'. I go to the independent, knowledgeable
bookshop down the road (tiny, but well stocked) and they usually have
the book for me by the following afternoon.

I think the threat to the small bookshop may be more from the Internet
than the bigger bookshops?

I *would* buy a book from one of the big shops in the city but for
less money and a couple of clicks get it delivered to my house / work
(often for free) the next day?

After all, you don't generally need 'support' with things like books
(with good search engines) but you can't beat a good bookshop for just
browsing .. ;-) (especially if it's raining!)

All the best ..

T i m