John Rumm

Stefek Zaba wrote:

Got a call from my Mum, who is currently having a fair amount of
building work done on her place (large Victorian semi,

Remember that last word:

Ah, yes see where you are going...

The RCD seems to work OK. The "significant belt" you say the plasterer
got with a wet wall may've been below the tripping threshold. But a

Not being there at the time it is idfficult to quantify the level
here... he still managed to get a decent finish on the plaster - so it
could not have been that bad ;-)

thought which runs through my fevered brain is that the source of the
belt might be from next door - t'other side of the party wall - which
need not have an RCD in place, but might have sthg in contact with (say)
the old lead pipes you mention.

Just another confusing possibility to add to your mystery - Stefek

Good thinking... alas one potential flaw in this theory is that the wall
in question is a far from the party wall as it is possible to get -
oposite side of the house in fact. Also the adjoining house was split
into three flats ten years ago or so, and in the process I think they
upgraded the electrics to include RCDs on each flat.

--
Cheers,

John.