Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:00:51 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , T i m

Oh, and why our house / loft / garage is full of handy stuff I can't
throw away .. ;-(

Now you come and explain that to my wife

Erm .. I think I'll pass on that one if you don't mind Geoff!

Ok, so you need some plasterboard so you go buy an 8 x 4 sheet and use
say half of it. You are now left with a 4 x 4 sheet of brand new,
unused pasterboard 'spare'. I would find it very difficult to just
throw it away because:

I might need it
It's new
It would be a shame
It will add to our landfill problem
It cost me

I would happily give it away but just can't throw it away (well I do
in the end of course..)

So, the loft is full of boxes containing things like ETI mags (I still
need to make a wiper delay for the 78 based kit car), empty boxes for
goods that I might sell (makes it easier to sell safer to pack / post
etc), radio control planes / boats, Star Wars figures collection etc
etc.

It does amaze me when I see these shows on TV where they take a 'lived
in' house and turn it into a show house. It's ok if you just like to
entertain or go on holidays in Spain where you lay on the beach for
two weeks but what if you actually *do* stuff? When they hit these
houses on the TV you see all their everyday posessions going into
carboard boxes then into the loft / storage etc .. what uses is that
(apart from to sell the house that is)?

To *do* things, you often heed 'kit', be it sports or DIY and this kit
needs storing .. if the whole family do this then you need a familys
worth of kit and where does it all go?

We enjoy (as a family) archery, power kites, cycling, camping,
motorcycling, RC sailing boats / cars, PC's, crafts, boating etc but
only live in a 3 bed Victorian end-of-terrace house (and don't want /
cant afford to move). That's not including the tools needed to DIY
('never a lender or bororrer be') most of which are in the 20' x 10'
garage / workshop / store.

So, this means that we don't have a show house but a place to live /
sleep that reflects that we like to do 'things' .. ?

Hurrah!

A grandchild: "My mummy says Grandma has a mucky house because she's old."

How do you explain to a six year old that Grandma and Grandpa have a mucky
house because they has a life?

Mary

All the best ..

T i m

Currently shuttling between home and the charity shop .. (*mostly*
taking stuff *from* the house ..) ;-)