Rob Morley

In article ,
"r.p.mcmurphy" says...
hey up! i have a workshop to which i have fitted a car lift...but i now
need to remove the ceiling ties(to which there never was a ceiling fitted),
and the purlins which are half way up the 45degree rafters, in order to be
able to lift the car into the roof space suficently enough to allow standing
room underneath. i know the only way is to suficently strengthen the
rafters so that they dont sag and install collars higher up. but i want them
as high as possible..not just the third of the way up that is recomended.
so my thinking is to strenthen the rafters with u chanel 3 or 4 mm steel
cupping and screwed or bolted to the raters. then using steel strips as the
collars but higher up...say in the top third. has any one any experience of
this method or any comments? all very welcome! (arcitect due to advise
later next week..but would like some feedback on my ideas)

I can't help thinking it would be less hassle to dig a shallow pit than
mess around with the roof structure.