nightjar

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Personally, I'd pass it if they're all the same, and fail it
if the live has significantly more free. I might also be
influenced by how likely the cord is to pull out of the cord
grip.

But surely that is, in effect, the exact opposite to what was suggested by
the course tutor, due to the placements of terminals inside the plug would
mean if (the core grip failed) your suggestion would result in the
positive
terminal failing last.

Some plugs are designed to have the conductors all cut to the same length,
to overcome the problem of people not reading the instructions or getting
the relative lengths wrong. However, the way that I read Andrew's post is
that he would pass the plug if the amount of play was the same for each,
which does not imply equal lengths. I would certainly agree with that.

Colin Bignell