IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:32:24 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:18:44 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:41:30 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Then there is the matter of effectively making your
cylinder bigger by adding some simple controls.

But you haven't - you made it "smaller"

No bigger as it gives a larger volume of hot water.

From where?

The cylinder.

Well I didn't imagine that it would be from the Yellowstone Geyser.

Please answer the question. How does having an arrangement which
causes a large proporion of the cylinder contents to fall in
temperature to practically cold water temperature increase the volume
of available hot water?

Read the thread all again from the beginning.

No just answer the question.

All is there. I'm not going around the mulberry bush.

OK, so let's summarise before you attempt to draw attention away from
your confused solution any further.

Read the thread all again from the beginning.

1) You suggested a scheme involving two thermostats and a relay as an
attempt to improve the efficiency from the boiler because it would
burn for longer and hence be more efficient than running it for
shorter periods.

2) I said that from tests that I did with a condensing boiler and fast
recovery cylinder that I found no evidence that a scheme like this
would make any notable difference to efficiency.

Which of course in nonsense.

No, I made the measurements and did two runs of each test. The
results were consistent to about 2% as I said.

In fact the effect of the flow switch, if just on the cylinder output
would be to fire up the boiler each time you start drawing even small
amounts of hot water, thus defeating the object of the thermostats
scheme.

You don't read. I said on the highest flow taps, bath/shower.

Ah, so it requires a replumb of the house to make it work.

For most of the time, the lower thermostat will be calling demand and
the upper one not and there is no way to know with a simple thermostat
arrangement like this whether there is 25% or 75% of HW left and
therefore whether the boiler should be fired up when water is drawn.
This could be handled by having separate plumbing runs for the bath
and shower and having the flow to those monitored.
Otherwise the arrangement will be worse overall than just having a
single thermostat with its hysteresis. You will fire up the boiler,
every time the hot tap runs at all, whcih is precisely what you didn't
want to happen because it's less efficient (or so you say).

I don't think you thought through the implications of your solution
before suggesting it.

Read the thread all again from the beginning.

That isn't necessary. By avoiding the issues, you've answered my
questions.

Read again. This is for your own good.