MikeS

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message
Can someone provide a step by step guide to measuring for new windows
and fitting them?.

Would i be right in saying that i measure externally,brick to
brick,left to right and top to bottom and take the least reading for
height and width,knock a few mills off (how many??5 mills?) for
allowance,get them made,take the old frames out,slot the new ones
in,wedge,drill,fix,foam sealer,trim,mastic?. What sort of screw
fixtures are normally used??

Its just that the way the trade is,i just cant trust any other company
to do it and i might as well do it myself.

Anyone recommend a window manufacturer or even an installer in South
Manchester??

ta

joe

Joe,

Your right brick to brick. If there is render over brick remove enough to
measure brick to brick.
Normally the window manufacturer will state how to measure a DIY install. I
did most of mine. I removed the glass to reduce weight of the larger windows
as I installed most except the largest single handed I had help with placing
the patio door into position did the frame installation single handed.

That's my experience, others no doubt have more experience and tips.

MikeS