IMM

"W" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:10:08 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

BTW, I'd avoid the traditional thermal store type devices. I would only
choose a model with a plate heat exchanger for DHW operation.

Why? I was thinking of getting one of these (Albion mainsflow)
because of their simplicity.

Internal coils are not as efficient as a plate heat exchanger with plates
delivering higher flow rates. Coils are a pig to descale, while a plate can
be just screwed off and de-scaled as a DIY job. Replacing then plate is an
equally simple job. The only thing extra using a plate is a normal CH pump,
available locally everywhere, and a flow switch. Not much extra complexity.
You can also add extra plates for a higher flowrates, try doing that with an
internal coil.