raden

In message , Peter Parry
writes
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:50:35 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message

Or, we could have small shops in the high street selling all those
little bits n bobs like they used to and serving the stuff up in paper
bags and .. ah .. ;-(

You mean weighing nails and not being able to buy twelve when you really
want fourteen?

I'm not sure why one would want to do this but I do like the
selective memory some have. The reality of those "high street" shops
was that they were _mostly_ manned by surly wretches whose response
to any request was "Nah, your the fifth person today wanting them -
don't have any - no call for them". The grocers sold a limited
range of time expired low quality produce and the bakers sold bread
you could sink a battleship with. If the quality of most of them had
been half what people fondly think they were they wouldn't all have
gone down the drain.

And you tell kids ...

Well, I can weigh out a dozen nails at my local hardware store

and then haggle over the price

.... and get a discount

--
geoff