Pete C

On 3 Nov 2004 07:48:51 -0800, (Chris
Doran) wrote:

I have here a tin of Ronseal "Wet Rot Wood Hardner" which says the
"wood should be reasonably dry...", so I assume it doesn't have to be
completely so, This is just as well as I've left the windowsill
painting a bit late and there's not much chance of nature drying out
the soft bits completely. I'm trying a heat gun, but I doubt if it
goes very deep.

Hi,

Might be good not to apply more than necessary if the wood hasn't been
treated, as it could trap damp behind it and reduce it's ability to
dry out.

If the wood hasn't been treated and stays damp it will keep rotting.
But there are boron/borax etc products that can be injected/painted
onto the damp wood to treat it:

http://www.dryrot.biz/treat_decay_diydoc.htm

Epoxy resin can also make a good wood hardener as it sets quickly.

cheers,
Pete.