Peter Parry

Default Electromagnetic field and medium voltage power line.

On 10 Feb 2004 11:45:42 -0800, (Martin H. Robinson)
wrote:

I have site that has a medium voltage powerline crossing it. I am
engaged in a dispute with the power utility to get the line relocated.
It would bolster my argument if I could show that the electromagnetic
field (EMF) levels were above a certain level.

I don't see how that could persuade them of anything.

Does anybody know how to:
1. Calculate or estimate EMF at a given distance from the powerline
with data described.

Not reliably, there are a number of environmental effects to be
considered and in any case the current flowing in the line will vary
at different times of the day (and on different days). You will need
to carry out field strength measurements. Avoid the toys that
certain anti-power line groups hire out. Apart from their dubious
calibration state they are marked in wholly unrealistic ways showing
false "danger" levels to further their propaganda.

Trying to argue a health case is in any case almost certainly futile.
The studies which will be relied upon by the power companies can be
found at
http://www.nrpb.org/radiation_topics/emf/index.htm and none
show any deleterious link between power lines and health. Trying to
refute those will be somewhat difficult.
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000000551D.htm is also worth
looking at.

--
Peter Parry.