Set Square

JM wrote:

It's an old-style one. It's similar to the one at
http://www.pettinaroli.com/310nda.htm, but is obviously quite a lot
older, using solder joints.

I will try tightening the nut tomorrow (a touch more water on the
floor can't hurt that much, and the valve is 10 miles away from me)
and see how it goes. The water does appear to be coming from between
the nut and the stem. If needs be, I can then look into getting new
packing inserted.

This type of tap is notorious for leaking round the gland, where the shaft
emerges. They're ok for years, and then you turn them on and off a couple of
times and they start leaking.

The gland nut is the upper-most one in the picture, about 1/2" down from the
handle. When this is tightened, it compresses some soft material to form a
seal round the shaft. If tightening it doesn't fix it, unscrew it (but not
the works of the tap itself!) and slide it up the shaft towards the handle.
Then wrap 3 or 4 turns of thin string tightly round the shaft, below the
gland nut, and slide it down inside the space where the gland nut screws in.
Then slide the gland nut back down, and screw it in and tighten it. This
time it should be ok.
--
Cheers,
Set Square