John

- wrote in message ...
Hi,

I've sorted out the leak on the washing machine valves I posted about last
week (thanks to everyone who replied). Now I've got another problem.

The stopcock itself has a smallish leak - perhaps enough to lose half a
pint of water per day. It's quite low down so it's difficult to put a
large enough container underneath it so I'm getting a fairly wet stone
floor in my kitchen, causing the carpet next to it to become fairly damp
towards the edge.

My father advised turning the pressure right down to reduce the effect of
back pressure (e.g. around a quarter turn from the 'off' position), which
I've tried without success, unfortunately - the only effect was to reduce
the water pressure to the taps around the house.

There is another stopcock/tap immediately after the water meter and I
think that this one is pretty much 'full on'.

Any ideas on how to best deal with this?

Cheers,
John.

My tap had a similar problem. Turning the tap on tended to unscrew the gland
nut as well.

I think such things are usually badly treated during the building stage and
the owner then suffers the consequences.

To be honest - I would like one of those on-off switch type valves with the
remote operating switch. A boon that would save emptying my cupboard to turn
off the water.

Base unit is almost wrecked due to leaks.

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.