Clarence

"NSM" wrote in message news:nSjid.69491$df2.590@edtnps89...

"Clarence" wrote in message
. com...

| The Phosphor fatigues and dims. Lower stress levels will achieve a longer
live
| in some phosphors. However abt 5,000 hours is the most I've seen.
|
| The Asian drivers are basically a blocking oscillator, and the wave form
is
| pretty distorted. However even a modified sine-wave-form will work and it
| doesn't affect the life enough to detect in a few hundred units I tested.

What about the EL night lights? Do they last longer?

Somewhat, since they are operating on 120 Volts 60 Hertz, but there is a broad
specification for how much light is acceptable. EL Life is usually given when
the light for a specified excitation results in half the original level of
light. So in those terms NO, the night light doesn't last longer. But if you
allow that the night light is useful at one quarter the initial light, then you
might see 10,000 to 14,000 hours of it still lighting. Just not as bright.

If the sealed Phosphor gets moist, with the seal broken, it will fail in a
relatively short time.