don

Brian Sharrock wrote:
From installation in 1973 my ground-floor wall-hung
Potterton 10-16 has been driving 28mm 'gravity'
pipes up to an indirect ho****er cylinder in the loft.
I'd guess the total height is 2 x 8'6" plus ceiling gaps
say ~20 feet? The pipes also have a number of kinks
as the heater is on an external wall and the tank is
about fifteen feet into the centre-line of the house.
As others have stated the cold water tank is mounted
on an over-engineered timber structure towards
the centre of the roof. Water is heavy.

I'd be in a similar position as the cylinder needs to move towards the
center of the house (for headroom reasons).

The other reason for the conversion is that we suffer slow recovery
times (admittedly this could be down to the scale in the 30 year old
hot water cylinder), and when the hot water is on in the summer the
radiators become warm (I guess because of convection into the main
central heating loop).

Don